Youth Programs FAQ

What information does the university require to register my youth program?

Five pieces of information are required for registration:

  1. Complete registration form
  2. Staff/Chaperone List
  3. Participant List
  4. Program Itinerary
  5. Other Info: brochures, link to website, and marketing information
What are the university's adult/child suggested ratios?

The University of Kansas recommends following the American Camp Association adult/child supervision ratios:

  • 4 to 5 year-old day participants        1:6          for overnight participants   1:5
  • 6 to 8 year-old day participants        1:8          for overnight participants   1:6
  • 9 to 14 year-old day participants      1:10        for overnight participants   1:8
  • 15 to 17 year-old day participants    1:12        for overnight participants   1:10

There should always be two staff members with a group of program participants unless they are in an area near the main program where other groups are around and have easy accessibility to get help in the event of an emergency.

This recommendation is NOT intended to hinder youth program events on campus, but as best practices to protect the University, the sponsor of the program and ultimately the youth participants.

Are there training requirements for youth programs?

The university will continually update training procedures for youth programs as they become available. Each Program Director should develop their own training / requirements specific to their youth program.  The current requirements may be found under the “training” section: .

Do I need to create emergency procedures for my camp?

The Program Director should develop and distribute an Emergency Action Plan to adult staff / chaperones.  KU Lawrence Campus Alerts is an excellent resource for planning.  Please also review the “Emergency Action Plan” and “Missing Youth/Camper” Plan sections: .

What if my youth program participants need medical care or require medicine administration?

Watkins Health Services (WHS) has developed a Health Services Information & Required Forms packet for your use.  Please review the suggestions provided under the “Health Forms” section:

Can I use social media to promote my youth program?

The Program Director should review the Social Media Guidelines with adult staff / chaperones and youth participants. 

I am not with KU, but am interested in holding my youth program at the university. Who should I contact for assistance?

Requests by an individual, organization or entity that is external to the University of Kansas may be accommodated on the Lawrence and/or Edwards Campuses.

The University leases facilities and may offer other services for a fee, but is not involved in the program operations, participant supervision, or management unless contractually obligated.

Requests should be directed to:

The University of Kansas - Edwards Campus
Conference Center & Event Spaces
12600 Quivira Rd.
Overland Park, KS 66213
Laurie Brown, Administrative and Conference Events Manager

The University of Kansas – Lawrence Campus
Office of Event Management & Protocol
Strong Hall Rm 230
1450 Jayhawk Blvd
Lawrence, KS 66045

What is the university's policy on hosting minors at KU?

KU has established a Minors on Campus Policy to provide guidance to those faculty and staff involved with coordinating and/or sponsoring programs for minor child participants under the age of eighteen (18).

My department wants to start a youth program, where do I begin?
Do all staff and camp counselors have to have background checks?

Yes, any staff or camp counselors working with minors on campus (whether employed or volunteers) must have a sex-offender background check before beginning to work with minors.  Background checks require extra time to process, therefore the names must be submitted 20 days prior to beginning employment. Those failing the background check will not be employed to work with minors.

Where can I find a list of youth program held on the Lawrence/Edwards Campuses?

A listing of programs can be found at   The list will be updated all year as programs are registered.  We strive to have summer youth programs listed by March 1.

Do I have to register my school's or department's youth program with the university?

The Office of Event Management and Protocol serves as the registrar for youth programs at KU.  All programs are required to register 60 days prior to the start date.   Please review “Complete Youth Programs/Campus Registration Requirements”

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today