Health / Safety
Watkins Health Services has developed a Health Services Information & Required Forms packet for your use.
Program Directors, please note the following suggestions:
- Social Security Numbers should NOT be collected.
- If a minor receives treatment during the program/camp, the health care provider is to be given the health forms in the packet above which will be maintained following federal and state requirements.
- All remaining health forms should be returned to the parent/guardian at the conclusion of the program/camp. Returning the forms provides assurances to the parent/guardian that private health information is not being retained by the program. And if the remaining health forms are returned to the parent/guardian, there would be nothing for the Program Director to retain for five years, as would otherwise be required under KU policy.
- It is highly recommended that adult staff / chaperones NOT be responsible for administering medications. Either the participant should be self-sufficient with his/her medications and medical devices or there should be other arrangements made for this care.
- Only communicate the location of Health Forms to adult staff / chaperones that need access in an emergency, as well as who will transfer the forms to a health care provider if needed.
If Program Directors have specific questions or need further assistance, contact the Watkins Business Office at 785.864.9520.
Emergency Action Plan
The Program Director should develop and distribute an Emergency Action Plan to adult staff / chaperones. KU Lawrence Campus Alerts is an excellent resource for planning.
An emergency action plan should:
- List emergency contact information.
- Provide notification procedures.
- Provide location of and who has access to Health / Permission forms if needed.
- Designate specific gathering points (day / night), so youth can be accounted for.
- Give the steps for dealing with common emergencies like severe weather or a lost person.
- Note what type of medical personnel / equipment is on-site / available on campus.
Please refer to the attached Emergency Action Plan for additional information
Important Phone Numbers:
|Police or Fire/Medical:||Call 911|
|Public Safety Office:||(785) 864.5900|
|Watkins Health Services:||(785) 864.9500|
|Institutional Opportunity & Access:||(785) 864.6414|
|University Hotline:||(844) 420.9065|
Missing Youth / Camper Plan
The Program Director should develop a Missing Youth / Camper Plan specific to the youth program and/or camp. Adult staff / chaperones should receive copies of the plan and know their assignments if the plan needs to be executed. Adult staff / chaperones should have specific times that they should check to confirm all their youth participants are accounted for.
Social Media Guidelines
The Program Director should review the Social Media Guidelines with adult staff / chaperones and youth participants.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Child Welfare Information Gateway
Kansas Department of Children and Families
Kansas Protection Report Center at 1-800-923-5330